Thursday, December 24, 2015

The End of the Christmas Story



The simple Gospel… that’s what Christmas is all about—Jesus coming for people who don’t have it all together. It’s not about everyone in my family being sober and happy and here, and it’s not about us all getting along and feeling that wonderful Christmassy feeling. In all our mess and brokenness… we have a Savior!

I have lived in a measure of brokenness a long time, waiting for certain desperate prayers to be answered, and at a glance it looks like God has not intervened. I can imagine that the Israelites might feel the same way--- suffering persecution, heartache, oppression, attacks. But in Isaiah 46:3,4  God says…  

“Listen to me, O house of Jacob,

 all you who remain of the house of Israel,

 you whom I have upheld since you were conceived,

 and have carried since your birth.

 Even to your old age and gray hairs

 I am he, I am he who will sustain you.

 I have made you and I will carry you;

 I will sustain you and I will rescue you.”

 

God has tenderly upheld and carried Israel’s family and He will continue to carry them, sustain them and rescue them all their days, whether or not they are aware of or understand His actions on their behalf. Their history is all part of the Christmas story and we can now read it and see God’s faithfulness. They have survived and their end will be GLORIOUS.

 Galatians 3:29 says “If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.” As a believer in Jesus Christ, the LORD has grafted me into this family and I receive the same care. The LORD is upholding, carrying, sustaining and rescuing me and my family. When God made these promises to the Israelites, they were not just to individuals, but to the whole family. And He says to me in Isaiah 49:23 “…those who hope in me will not be disappointed.”

 So today I am fixing my eyes not on the mess, but on the Savior. And this gives me joy!

 
“Thank-you Jesus, that You are upholding, carrying, sustaining and rescuing us. Someday I will see the end of this Christmas story and it will shine forth with Your breathtaking faithfulness. Thank-you, my Beautiful Savior.”

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Carl. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

      Delete
  2. Yes I too need to keep my eyes fixed on the message of Christ! Thank you for this reminder of God's faithfulness. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Zosha. Merry Christmas to you too! One day we will meet and share our stories of God's faithfulness.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts!